ADVISORY ON DRIVING LESSONS AND COVID-19 PREVENTION
Driving lessons for healthy learner drivers with healthy instructors and mentors at Puketapapa Community Driving School (PCDS) will continue with the following protocols and extra precautions in place:
- A day before the driving lesson, all learners will be interviewed by PCDS staff about travel history, if they have any symptoms and close contact with other people who have symptoms and have travelled from a high-risk region. Learners will be advised NOT TO BOOK lessons if unwell.
- All learners and instructors must wash their hands before getting into the car.
- All learners must disinfect the car key and direct contact points: steering wheel, gear stick, indicators, door handles, window and mirror buttons, fuel caps and bonnet catches before and after each lesson.
- A window will be kept open for ventilation during driving lessons.
- Ensure proper disposal of wipes, tissues and other cleaning materials at the end of each session.
- When refuelling, use disposable gloves.
If a learner driver shows symptoms during training i.e. fever, coughing, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties, notify the Ministry of Health through 0800 358 5453 and arrange for a coronavirus test as soon as possible, and self-isolate for 14 days.
Follow the PCDS story featured in RNZ https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/voices/audio/2018725191/new-found-freedom-of-refugee-women-drivers
Amie Maga, Trust Manager for Migrant Action Trust and Project Manager for Puketapapa Community Driving School, appeals for an additional practice car. Read on one of our featured programme graduates, Islam Khalelo, with PCDS driving instructor, Susan, as they share their experience with PCDS.